Sunday 22 June 2008

rest

so this is my first ever blog. Im lying in bed feeling pretty awful. Sore head, flu symptoms etc. Lying here with nothing to do has made me think. Thinking about people who are terminally ill or those have been bed ridden all their life.

I remember reading about a girl of a similar age to myself who was sentenced to a lifetime of lying down due to a severe illness that had destroyed all her muscles and her ability to participate in every day tasks or even to communicate. All she could do was lie in her bed completely dependant on those who cared for her. However, her heart was set on things above, she rebuked any thoughts that dwelt upon self-pity and instead humbly commited herself to a lifetime of devoted prayer. By her bedside was a map of the world pinned to the wall. For the rest of her life she worshipped God by praying fervently with the help of the Holy Spirit for every nation and every race. She prayed with such an intesity of spirit that her face was always radiant, never did she dwell on her own sufferings. She experienced the peace that we know 'passes all understanding' in a way that that blessed GOD, HERSELF and the whole WORLD.

There is something so beautiful about the times when I just rest in God. The times when prayer seems to be present but not in the most literal sense. I don't require words or even thoughts. I just rest in the sublime, ethereal beauty of God's peace. I don't need a sunset or a waterfall to spark this experience. Nor do I require specific music or a blessing to reflect upon. The words 'my grace is enough for you' become so meaningful at times so unexpected when I just seek His face and rest in His peace. The stress of the city, the derelict wasteland, the estates, the gangs, the smack and crack. yes Lord, Your grace in enough. lead me.

No comments: